Development Officer – JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Development Officer
Responsible to: Chair, CEO and Board of Directors
Responsible for: Development Planning, Delivery and reporting for Through Unity
Based at: TBC
Key Objectives of Job
▪ To provide support to develop and maintain the corporate development and expansion plan and to support the operation and development of the organisation within the policy direction set by the Board of Directors.
▪ To ensure that the charitable objectives of the organisation are followed and that it delivers the appropriate public benefit.
▪ To take overall responsibility for Through Unity’s development plan and overall management of its delivery within the governance and accountability frameworks established by the Board of Directors.
▪Working with the CEO, Chair, to enable the Trustees to oversee the expansion and development plan whist fulfilling their legal duties and other responsibilities for the proper governance of the organisation.
▪To ensure that the Board receives financial information, reports and advice, recommendations relating to the expansion and deliver planning in an effective, thorough and timely manner.
▪To develop and support applications for external funding and reports to funding organisations, trusts, and other patrons and supporters to support the development and expansion plan.
▪ Ensuring that a long-term strategy is in place to guide the organisation in achieving its expansion objectives.
▪ Drawing up an annual business development plan for Through Unity in advance of each financial year to integrate the organisation’s expansion programmes and activities and to ensure its on-going practical and financial viability.
▪ Leading on the management of Through Unity’s development and expansion planning to support the charity’s mission and strategic objectives.
▪ Ensuring strong management, effective reporting internally and externally and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements with relation to the expansion of services and widening of Through Unity’s reach.
▪Ensuring the effectiveness of Through Unity’s services.
Financial and Legal
▪ Being responsible to the CEO, Board of Directors / Trustees for the ensuring that the overall delivery of the expansion and development plan maintains / enhances the financial health of the organisation and sits within legal and regulatory compliance.
▪ Producing a plan and annual budget acceptable to the Board and helping to ensure that budget is met with the Financial Director and CEO.
▪ Working to ensure that the organisation has the financial resources it needs to operate effectively.
▪ Seeking out and developing new strategies for ensuring future income streams and resources,
including exploring and developing commercial opportunities to sustain free advice services.
▪ Building and maintaining the financial stability of Through Unity to an appropriate level set by the Board.
▪ Taking appropriate steps to manage risks that could impact significantly on the organisation.
▪ Ensuring that Through Unity fulfills its constitutional, regulatory and legal obligations. Including, Charities Commission, Companies House, Tax, Payroll and other financial requirements by working closely with the CEO, Financial Director and Board.
▪ Ensuring that the organisation has the right management systems and structures to carry out its expansion work effectively, accountably and safely, and that professional standards are maintained.
▪ Ensuring that all assets and resources of the organisation – equipment, materials and cash – are properly managed and secured, and overseeing that plans are in place for their maintenance, replacement or improvement, as appropriate.
▪ With the CEO and Chair, ensuring that the Board of Directors formulate and regularly review the organisation’s vision, mission, values, and strategic development priorities and objectives.
▪ In partnership with the Board of Trustees, maintaining a longer-term development strategy for Directors within the policy direction set by the Board.
▪ Reporting to the Board on expansion / developmental progress, providing information and answering for organisational development progress and performance in delivering internal and external expansion objectives and targets.
▪ Developing policy proposals for discussion and decision by the Board of Trustees.
▪ Maintaining an effective working partnership and collaboration with the CEO and Chair, and establishing and maintaining the annual programme for the meetings of the Board.
▪ Making sure all the policy, procedural and strategic/key documents are kept up-to-date.
▪ Helping to represent the organisation to funding partners and other stakeholders to ensure the continued financing of the charity
▪Ensuring that the organisation forges strong and effective partnerships to deliver its mission.
All staff are required to abide by the Through Unity’s Policies, Procedures and other Key Documents.