Job Title: Director / Trustee
Responsible to: Chair and Board of Directors/Trustees, Through the board responsible to Charity – Through Unity
Responsible for: Director / Trusteeship of the Charity – Through Unity
Based at: TBC – care of TU office and registered office
Key Objectives of Job
▪ To provide support to develop and maintain the corporate plan and to support the operation and development of the organisation within the policy direction set by the Board of Directors / Trustees.
▪ To ensure that the charitable objectives of the organisation are followed and that it delivers the
appropriate public benefit.
▪ To take overall responsibility for Through Unity’s management within the governance and accountability frameworks established by the Board of Directors.
▪ Working with the CEO and other staff, Chair of Directors, to enable the Trustees to fulfil their legal duties and other responsibilities for the proper governance of the organisation.
▪ To ensure that the Board reviews relevant business information, reports and advice, makes recommendations in an effective, thorough and timely manner.
▪ To support applications for external funding / resources as may be agreed,
▪ Ensuring that a long-term strategy is in place to guide the organisation in achieving its objectives.
▪ Leading on the management of Through Unity’s in a nominated role to support the charity’s mission and strategic objectives.
▪ Ensuring strong management, effective reporting internally and externally and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
▪ Ensuring the effectiveness of Through Unity’s services.
Financial and Legal
▪ Being responsible to the Board of Directors / Trustees for the health of the organisation and legal and regulatory compliance.
▪ Agreeing with other board members an annual budget acceptable to the Board and helping to ensure that budget is met.
▪ Working to ensure that the organisation has the resources it needs to operate effectively.
▪ Taking appropriate steps to manage risks that could impact significantly on the organisation.
▪ Ensuring that Through Unity fulfils its constitutional, regulatory and legal obligations. Including, Charities Commission, Companies House, other regulatory requirements.
▪ Ensuring that the organisation has the right management systems and structures to carry out its work effectively, accountably and safely, and that professional standards are maintained.
▪ Ensuring that all assets and resources of the organisation – equipment, materials and cash – are
properly managed and secured as appropriate.
▪ With the CEO and Chair, ensuring that the Board of Directors formulate and regularly review the organisation’s vision, mission, values, and strategic priorities and objectives.
▪ In partnership with the Board of Trustees, maintaining a longer-term strategy for Directors within
the policy direction set by the Board.
▪ Reporting to the Board on progress, providing information and answering for organisational progress and performance in delivering internal and external objectives and targets.
▪ Developing policy proposals for discussion and decision by the Board of Trustees.
▪ Maintaining an effective working partnership and collaboration with the CEO and Chair, and establishing and maintaining the annual programme for the meetings of the Board.
▪ Making sure all the policy, procedural and strategic/key documents are kept up-to-date.
▪ Helping to represent the organisation to partners and other stakeholders to ensure the continued operation of the charity
▪ Ensuring that the organisation forges strong and effective partnerships to deliver its mission.
All staff are required to abide by the Through Unity’s Policies, Procedures and other Key Documents.